BOOK REVIEW | ON THE COME UP BY ANGIE THOMAS (SPOILER FREE)

Title: On The Come Up
Author: Angie Thomas
Pages: 464
Publisher: HarperCollins
Published date: 5 February 2019
Genre: Fiction

Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighborhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri’s got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri’s life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.

On the Come Up is Angie Thomas’s homage to hip-hop, the art that sparked her passion for storytelling and continues to inspire her to this day. It is the story of fighting for your dreams, even as the odds are stacked against you; of the struggle to become who you are and not who everyone expects you to be; and of the desperate realities of poor and working-class black families. (Source: Goodreads)

I mean, it's one thing to wanna do something. It's another to think it's possible.

This book is a really inspiring and unflinching story. I can feel Bri's not just determination, but desperation to reach her dream because that's the only fastest and cleanest way to save her family. They've lived without the heater in the winter because Bri's mom is a single mother, who was a drug addict just got fired from her work at church because there was a riot and the church was damaged. In order to cut some budget, the church fired Bri's mom. Even with the help of Bri's older brother, Trey who worked at a pizza shop despite graduating college with flying colors, they couldn't afford to pay the bills. It was hard for Bri's mom to land a job because of her past.

So, this left Bri feeling like a burden because she didn't do anything to help her family's condition. Not to mention she studied in a private school, hence her family needed to work tooth and nail to make ends meet. 

I was inspired by Bri the whole time. I can't help but root for her, cheer for her, wish her success and be her back bone. I admit sometimes I think she's too impulsive, but I can let that slide. Hey, everyone got flaws right?

I love Bri's relationship with her childhood bestfriends; Malik and Sonny. I love how despite having a conflict, they always talk to each other eventually and made up. But it felt like they always fought and that could get exhausting. 

The rap battle gave me goosebumps. Seeing Bri came up with the rap flow, how she thought of one word and find other word that rhymes with it is entrancing. I swear rapper isn't just a rapper, they're storytellers and an inspiration. 

The words are there, I swear. They're just waiting for me to find them.

This book changed my life the way only Angie Thomas can. It got me listening to J-Cole and my favourite is Love Yourz. I cried listening to it because I keep comparing myself to others and J-Cole told me that no such thing as a life that's better than yours. 

I relate to Bri's desperation because I'm facing a similar situation as her, though I'm more fortunate. I love how the book shows uncertainty about life. How Bri's mom might relapse, how Bri's music career might not be looking up, how we don't know about the what-ifs but it's okay because at least now we're okay. 

Out of all the characters, Trey is my favourite. He majors in Psychology. He is understanding, supportive, confronting, calming, gentle and couldn't care less about what people thought of him. People who don't give a s*** are the best kinda people. 

I think the most important message I can take from On The Come Up is how Bri never showed her weakness. She never compared her life with her friends. She never asked for sympathy, never envied. The only goal in her mind is her dream. And that's all that matters.

The only problem I have with this book is I don't like how it took a romance turn. I know the romance element is necessary to spice things up but since I don't ship it, so I don't care about it at all. And it's cringey. So, yikes to that.

Overall, this is an important read for everyone. Especially if you're too afraid to chase your real dreams. The rap lyrics in this book is damn good as expected from a former rapper herself. 

Rate: ★★★★★


2 Comments