MOVIE REVIEW | MY HERO ACADEMIA: HEROES RISING (SPOILER FREE)

Release date: December 20, 2019
Runtime: 94 min.
Genre: Action, Comedy, School, Shounen, Super Power
Language: Japanese


    Izuku "Deku'' Midoriya and his fellow students in Class 1-A of UA High's hero course have been chosen to participate in a safety program on Nabu Island. To further improve their skills and gain experience in more ordinary heroics, the students aid the kind citizens with small services and everyday chores. With the low crime rate in the quiet community, all seems well and good, but the rise of a new villain threatens to put the students' courage to the test and challenge their capabilities as heroes.

    A merciless villain by the name of Nine is in search of a certain "quirk" needed to fulfill his diabolical plan—creating a society where only those with the strongest quirks reign supreme. As his attack on Nabu Island endangers the lives of the residents, securing the citizens becomes the first priority for Class 1-A; defeating Nine along with his wicked accomplices is also imperative. A straightforward strategy is formulated until a young boy named Katsuma Shimano, whom Deku had befriended, suddenly requires particular protection. Concerned for the boy's wellbeing, Deku and his classmates must now devise a plan to ensure Katsuma's safety at all costs.

    With Nine wreaking havoc to find the catalyst for his ill-intended schemes and the heroes desperate to defend Katsuma from harm, will Deku and his friends be able to come out victorious, or will they find themselves unable to escape a hopeless situation? (Source: myanimelist)


    Oh my god I love My Hero Academia so much! This was officially released last year, but it's only released in Malaysia recently so I went to the cinema with my sister to watch it. And it was so awesome! I know I can just download the movie and watch on my PC but knowing how damn satisfying the fight scenes in MHA most of the time, I decided I must watch it at the cinema for full effect. 

    I had no regrets! The plot is well-written and fast-paced. Everything that happened contributed to the plot and nothing was dragging. 1 hour and 44 minutes didn't feel long at all. All the characters were hilarious as usual, though I wish there was more of Jiro/Kaminari interaction. 

    I've missed the UA squad so bad, when I finally got to see them on the big screen it felt like coming home. I've always loved their friendship, teamwork and jokes. Especially Baku squad. Well, since Bakugo is my favourite character after all. I'm not sure if this is spoilery, but there is one scene when Sero was thrown away by Nine and Bakugo called out to him WITH HIS REAL NAME AND IT WAS SO SOFT. I think out of all the epic fighting scenes, that simple 0.01 second of Bakugo screaming Sero's name is my favourite. It just shows how much Bakugo actually cared for him and how far they've become as friends and it made me teared up like a proud mom :') 

    Next, let's talk about the villain. I know I've been simping over Bakugo just now but I'm actually team villains lol. Overhaul will always be my number one villain. I love him so much it hurts 😔 But I think Nine is not bad. I mean come on, look at his dead and boring eyes. Plus, white AND long hair? OMG YES PLEASE.


    Those eyes can hurt me and I'd thank him lol. I think I have something on slanted eyes :/ I mean, Overhaul? Shinso? Todoroki? Yup, I'm seeing a pattern here. 

    Nine made a good villain. I love seeing him go berserk. But then, I love every villain who goes berserk, I was like 'yeah you go girl! Destroy everything!' I can see Nine's vision but I wish we get to see more of his background. Maybe we should explore more on his past and why he acted the way he did. Or maybe I just want more of his screen time. 

    Again, I don't know if this considers as a spoiler but the fighting scene with a sad background music at the end of the movie broke me 😢 I'm sensitive and I get hurt pretty easily, and those kind of scenes are my weakness. I CAN'T.

    Overall, I'd watch the movie for the second time. I'm planning to download it so I can screenshot this one second of Todoroki because I think it would make a good wallpaper. For those who haven't watched it (which I doubt), please watch it now! 

Rate: ★★★★★

0 Comments