GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW | HEARTSTOPPER SERIES, VOL 1-3 BY ALICE OSEMAN (SPOILER FREE)


Title: Heartstopper
Author: Alice Oseman
Illustrator: Alice Oseman
Genre: Comics, Fiction, Romance Novel, Graphic Novel

Heartstopper Volume One:
    Charlie and Nick are at the same school, but they've never met... until one day when they're made to sit together. They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn't think he has a chance. But love works in surprising ways, and Nick is more interested in Charlie than either of them realised. Heartstopper is about love, friendship, loyalty and mental illness. It encompasses all the small stories of Nick and Charlie's lives that together make up something larger, which speaks to all of us. (Source: Goodreads)

Heartstopper Volume Two:
    Nick and Charlie are best friends. Nick knows Charlie's gay, and Charlie is sure that Nick isn't. But love works in surprising ways, and Nick is discovering all kinds of things about his friends, his family... and himself. (Source: Goodreads)

Heartstopper Volume Three:
    Charlie didn't think Nick could ever like him back, but now they're officially boyfriends. Nick's even found the courage to come out to his mum. But coming out isn't just something that happens once - there's Nick's older brother, and a school trip to Paris, not to mention all the other friends and family - and life can be hard, even with someone who loves you by your side. As their feelings get more serious, Charlie and Nick will need each other more than ever before. (Source: Goodreads)

Heartstopper Volume One:
   The first book is so cute! I literally finished it in one sitting, and I'm not even the type of reader who finishes everything quick. I'm a really slow reader lol but this one got me hooked. I love Charlie a lot. I think he's nice. He can play drums, he's a genius, he's kind towards people, and I like everything about him. 

    I'm a manga reader, as you know manga illustrations are god-tier (you can check out Bungou Stray Dogs) but the illustration in Heartstopper is okay. It's not perfect but it suits the style of the graphic novel. 

    Anyway, I really like the first volume. I bought only volume 1 at first, but as soon as I finish it, I bought the other two. I even recommended it to people because it's the CUTEST.

Rate: ★★★★✰

Heartstopper Volume Two:
    Okay, this one is a two star for me. It felt very basic and flat. I started to get boring halfway through... yeah I know EVERYONE loves it, and I love it at first too but for some reason it got really mediocre and I couldn't understand the hype anymore. 
    
    We get to see more of Nick struggling to figure out who he is because he had a crush on a girl before but now he started to like Charlie, I mean who doesn't like Charlie, he played drums duh. But the 300+ pages of Nick wondering his sexuality made me yawn :/

Rate: ★★✰✰✰

Heartstopper Volume Three:
    In this one, Nick and Charlie are going out as boyfriends but they have not outed to anyone yet. Okay, I'm probably going to get punched for this but man... this is a one star for me :/ I know right?! Why am I like this?! EVERYONE on the book community WORSHIPED this series but I couldn't 😔 I read this really quick not because it's cute like the first one but because I had to since it's the last volume so far. I just wanted to be done with it. 

    I feel like the romance is too much (?) Yeah, I know it's a romance book for god's sake but it was too much to the point of cringy. And mental illness is being thrown here and there just to make it edgy. I don't want to sound rude or anything, but the diversity in this one felt too much, that it felt unrealistic. It's like everything is too good to be true. 

Rate: ★✰✰✰✰


    Overall, I don't know what to make of this series, but definitely not worth the hype. There is not much relationship development either. I want to say that's because it's a graphic novel, hence why the author couldn't tell the story longer. But then again, manga does it better. Or maybe I'm being biased.

    Volume 4 is coming soon and I was excited about it after finishing the first volume, but right now the series has started to wipe off from my memory. Anyway, if you don't mind excessive cute things, I'd say go for it. Maybe try volume one first and see how it goes. But this series is definitely not for me. That doesn't mean I don't want to read Alice Oseman's other works though. I already have Radio Silence and can't wait to read it 😊
    







2 Comments