KOREAN MUKBANGERS ARE CANCELLED?! (Let's Spill Some Tea ☕)


Mukbang has been trending around the world lately. The word mukbang is a combination of two korean words; muk-ja (eating) and bang-song (broadcast). Basically, in simpler words mukbang is a video of people eating in front of the camera. It was originated in South Korea back in 2010. (Source: mashed.com

Personally, I'm a mukbang fan and I enjoy watching mukbang videos. In a way, it felt satisfying and calming. Recently, Korean mukbangers, including the popular ones like Boki and Sio, have been exposed. Apparently, they have been making videos without mentioning that it's an advertisement. This means that they were getting paid by deceiving their viewers. Naturally, people would think the food they ate were bought by themselves, but they were actually sponsored. Yet, they didn't mention it in their videos. They have been committing a crime against the law for months and got paid millions for it.

Many fans, especially Koreans are terribly disappointed in them since they looked up to the mukbangers and couldn't accept the fact that they were being dishonest this whole time. Many have also unsubscribed and stopped supporting them. However, the international fans are more forgiving and lenient. They thought as humans, of course the mukbangers made mistakes as well. 

At first, I thought it wasn't a big deal too. But if you think about how much money they've earned, it's a really big deal. One of my personal favourite mukbangers, Sio ASMR has came out and apologized to his fans. He even translated the apology into multiple languages knowing he has international fans from various countries. 


I was a bit sad to know Sio decided to completely quit Youtube because I always watch his videos. Even when I'm studying, I play his videos to keep me company. But after thinking it over, maybe it was best for him to reflect on himself.    

Another mukbanger I was very fond of doesn't even bother to translate her apology into English. Perhaps she was trying to manipulate her international fans? I don't know. If Sio doesn't post his apology, I wouldn't know what was happening. 

It has been a week since the mukbangers have been exposed. Some have quit, some posted an apology video and still continue doing Youtube. Honestly, I don't know what was so hard to mention the videos were sponsored. But then again, I wasn't in their shoes to judge. I don't know if I should still support them. I have stopped watching their videos now, but probably in the future I will still support the few who apologized because I'm addicted to mukbang lol.  

Do you guys watch mukbang too? Or am I weird? 😬

14 Comments

  1. i am not a mukbang fans... ( eating terms ) but i enjoy watching it! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i watched mukbang a lot before this...but is every korean mukbang do advertisement through mukbang?

    kalau macam mukbang melayu maam beby tora tu memg la dia buat iklan...herm mcm isaac osman..tak tahu la dia dibayar ke tak..

    selama ni syok je tengok orang cuba makan2 ni...

    https://nasuha-itsmyessay.blogspot.com/2020/08/ada-nak-order-origami-3d.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think not all korean mukbang is sponsored kot, macam dorothy. tengok isaac osman pun best! hahaha. rasanya isaac kalau dibayar pun dia mention.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of mukbang videos but would some time watch it just for fun. this doesn't seem right. not really into this but reading this makes me wonder as well. where's the fun in it if they are not willing to do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i want to recommend boki's mukbang because i loved her videos, but since she has been cancelled... hm.

      Delete
    2. Since I don't watch them anymore, so it's okay. ^^

      Delete
  4. woahh okay im shocked as this is new to me and i, myself, am a BIG fan of mukbang! I always watch mukbang before sleeping (idk if this is weird but it kinda calms me hahah). and Im also a fan of SIO! T^T aww so sad to know that he quit youtube :"(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg same!! sometimes when i can't sleep i try to watch mukbang hahaha. yes, SIO is so funny and cute >.< so sad he left sobsss

      Delete
  5. my sister love mukbang a lot haha . But hey , i just wondering why is it wrong by being sponsored ? i just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were sponsored but they didn't mention in their videos, so they let their viewers think the food is something they bought. so the fans feel like the mukbangers are lying to them. i think in korea it's against the law to do this.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a mukbang fan, but I think they should mention about sponsorship on their videos, it's not that hard, they wouldn't even lose their fans by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true! i honestly dont know what is so hard about mentioning the sponsorship :/

      Delete
  7. It not tuee that sio asmr quite youtube he is still posting on youtube so stop lying.

    ReplyDelete