Inappropriate scenes in Squid Game is unnecessary

Inappropriate scenes in Squid Game is unnecessary | Recently, Squid Game has been blooming all over the world. It was talked about on Twitter, the soundtrack is being used in TikTok videos and even the cast are gaining millions of followers on Instagram.

The Squid Game fever is coming at us in waves and crashing hard. Children begging their parents to watch, non-korean drama watchers joining the bandwagon and social media was practically bullying people to watch Squid Game to not miss out the hype. Including me.

As for the casting, I admit they are great actors and actresses. They give an excellent performance to lure the audience to keep watching. The element of suspense is top notch and is one of the marketing strategy to keep us hitting the next episode button. 

One of my personal favourite about the show would be the showcase of traditional korean games. I love learning new culture, especially childhood games. My most favourite game would be honeycomb. As most people would agree.

While I do think the show did a great job inserting life crisis and the harsh reality of life, but to make me feel empathise towards the characters, I need more backstory. I didn’t cry at any scenes because the characters feel detached. The only character I care about is the police officer because he looks like Sio ASMR.


Moreover, I do think the plot is a bit all over the place and messy. So many things left unsaid that would probably be explained further in the potential season 2. If there is no season 2, then I would say I hate the plot twist 😂

The slow pace made me bored and I found myself playing with my phone editing TikTok video instead of focusing on the show. Some scenes could’ve been edited out or compressed.

And not to mention, there were a few lewd scenes which I found inappropriate. In episode 4 when the two characters are doing each other in the toilet is really pointless. I watched the show with my sister, so it was awkward. But luckily I googled the scene beforehand as a precaution. I know Netflix included sex and nudity tags for the show but I still think it would be awkward for families watching together.

I don’t think the scenes held any importance especially when I skipped it but still got the gist of the story. So, maybe it was fan service. The scenes just caught me off guard because as far as I knew, korean dramas tend to be less explicit. 

There was one tweet from a Pencetus Ummah saying recommending Squid Game is in the same line as promoting sexual behaviour especially when even children are the audience, and the tweet got backlashed by quite a number of people saying ‘there’s Netflix children for a reason’. 

While I do agree regarding the Netflix Children, I think the PU has a point. In episode 7, when the police officer was almost forced to please the VIP, even though it didn’t get to the point yet, the buttocks of the VIP was shown full screen. Luckily I watched on my iPad, I can only imagine having the buttock on a big screen.

Some of the scenes such as choosing a partner before the game and having odd number, that means one participant will be left out. That scene gave me anxiety because it reminded me how I hate choosing partners in school project. I was always afraid of being the unchosen one.

Needless to say, for me Squid Game is hyped too much. I once saw a tweet saying korean drama fans don’t even hype Squid Game because there are better korean drama, well it doesn’t even take a korean drama fan to know that. And if people enjoy Squid Game and thinks mighty of it, then let them be. 

Rate: 3/5 

4 Comments

  1. I dunno what to comment because I haven't start this one yet. But I know I'm gonna love it anyway haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sama setuju juga orang hype this drama too much. saya tengok speed 1.5 sbb hampir tertidur waktu tengok cerita ini. hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kannn, cerita ni too slow. Penat tengok hahaha

      Delete