FIXI NOVO REVIEW: CHILDREN WE NEVER HAD BY NADIA KHAN


The first Fixi Novo book I read and it's called Children We Never Had by Nadia Khan. Nadia Khan is one of my auto-buy authors. I've read her Gantung and Kelabu series before, so seeing this new book at PBAKL, I had to buy it! 

I finished this book in less than 3 days which considered quick of me despite my full day classes and clinics. The short span did not mean this book is THAT good, it just means this book is so simple I could read it so fast because I didn't have to use my brain. 

But oh my god, I have never felt this strong urge to throw a book across the room since I read Eliza and Her Monsters before. If this book was a person, I wanted to kill them SO BAD.

I have good insight but I have poor awareness. It means I'm good at understanding what I am but not good at understanding why I am the way I am.

1. Synopsis

"The road less traveled really is hard. There's no map, no manual. It's just you trying to figure things out as you go along, all the while hoping you don't lose yourself or your humanity."

After suffering from a tragedy, Abby picks up the pieces of her broken self while still being plagued by the consequences of her impulsive actions. But words from the millennial bible – "Adulting is hard" – follow her like a curse as she struggles to not fall into the trap of bad decisions.

Children We Never Had is a story of profound loss and interesting findings. (Source: Goodreads)

Like losing colour after thinking the world would never be drained of it.

2. Plot

Honestly, when you have read most of Nadia Khan's books, you can see the pattern of her writing. It's mostly characters meeting each other and having arguments or gossips.

Same goes with Children We Never Had, we follow Abby and the wreck she left behind in her wake. We see how Abby dealt with her problems in a complicated way when really, everything is more simple if she would just listen and stop assuming things. At some point, I literally screamed out of frustration at Abby. Thank God my roommate wasn't here to witness me losing my mind. 


But as expected, Abby was an A+ asshole in the beginning, so she would have her redemption arc later. In my opinion, she was so stubborn for no reason that I sincerely don't care for her development. 

Kindness stays and it attracts good things. All in good time.

To talk about Abby's drama would spoil everything this book is about. Because everything is her drama. Her relationship with her parents, younger sister, business partner (also her f*ck buddy), gay bestfriend, hot ex-high school teacher and potentially highly most likely gay first ex-boyfriend who is also a momma's boy. It's heavily revolving around Abby. 

So if you're not a character-driven book reader, I don't think this book is for you. And yes, previously I mentioned f*ck buddy. It wasn't a typo. Also yes, Abby is a Muslim. So, this book is SERIOUSLY not for the traditionalists. It's the definition of liberalism. But it's actually what's happening currently in our world.

It was definitely shocking for me to read about Abby's lifestyle, but at the same time I kind of knew these Muslims exist. Especially in the heart of the city. 

3. What I Like

Other than Annoying Abby, I love how this book shows what being a human is like and the complexity of relationships. I do relate to some of the complicated feelings featured in the book. I love how this book shows that I'm not less human just because my idealism is different than conventional. 

And this book shows love is not so straightforward sometimes. It's not always black and white. Some people do not follow the footprints our older generation left behind. And just because some people love differently, does not mean our feelings should be invalidated and dismissed. 

And of course, all the characters felt very much real and alive to me. Nadia Khan's undeniably managed to bring any character to life and fully fleshed-out. 

Problematic fathers are often too egoistic to realize their mistakes.

4. What I Dislike

So, even though I hate Abby, it doesn't mean I couldn't tolerate her wild lifestyle. My dealbreaker was how she would intentionally hurt someone close to her, who actually cared a lot about her to play the victim and act so cool about being a bitch. Throughout the book, her good friends WORSHIPPED the ground she walked so much I had to roll my eyes. They were turning their blind eye on all her faults and flaws. They swept everything under the rug and labeled her the cool girl. It was abominable.  

As I'm typing this, I really wanted to shout how despicable Abby is and the world should see it. But again, I shouldn't be so hard on her because she went through some shit too. I just wish she would be more empathetic and less entitled because her afflictions did not justify her behaviour. 

Ratings: 3.75★

2 Comments

  1. Lama sudah Cuya tak layan novel. Masa dah suntuk sangat....But i just bought one series of Malay novel from my childhood author . Kalau Kai kenal Ain Maisarah, die released novel thriller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kenal!! dulu baca la sikit2 novel dia kat dlm surat khabar tapi tak follow sampai habis. wah baru tahu dia keluarkan series thriller

      Delete