MOVIE REVIEW | DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA THE MOVIE: MUGEN TRAIN (SPOILER FREE)

Released date: 5 March 2021
Runtime: 1hr 59min.
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Language: Japanese


EnmuLower Rank 1, is sent to kill Tanjiro Kamado as well as the other Demon Slayers in order for him to become an Upper Rank and receive even more blood from Muzan Kibutsuji.

Meanwhile, Tanjiro Kamado, Zenitsu Agatsuma and Inosuke Hashibira decide to buy tickets to board the Infinity Train and join Kyojuro Rengoku, the Flame Hashira, with the hope of learning more about the Hinokami Kagura as well as defending the onboard passengers. (Source: Kimetsu no Yaiba fandom)




When my friend and I first found out Mugen Train was out in theatres (Malaysia), we were grocery shopping. We weren't planning to go to the cinema. But then we looked at each other and thought, why not? So, we put back our grocery and hail a cab. The problem is, the uncle taxi driver didn't know the way to the cinema and he scolded us along the way for not knowing the route. We were thinking about backing out, maybe impromptu is not something for us. But we were also thinking, 'I would do anything for anime.' And then, a couple hours later we arrived at the cinema, all excited and jittery. We bought the tickets thinking gold is in our possession. We took pictures and asked stranger to take pictures of us with the movie poster while waiting for our movie hall to open. 

And then our nightmare started.

We couldn't scan the QR code on the movie ticket. It was weird because the time was correct. But the date wasn't. We bought the wrong ticket. WE BOUGHT THE TICKET FOR THE NEXT DAY. 

I was humiliated for my life because I was so confident asking the attendant there why the tickets weren't working. Of course it didn't work because IT WAS THE WRONG DATE. Omg thinking back still made me want to bury my head in my grave.

Anyway, let's talk about the movie.


PLOT

I know this movie is well loved by everyone, so if you think my unpopular opinion is offensive, don't read further than this. This is just my personal opinion. 

In my opinion, the movie was boring. The plot is all over the place. It was supposed to center around Rengoku, but the main story was only about 45 minutes at the end. I really don't care about what happened in the Mugen Train. The strategy to take down the villain is dull. And the jokes are more suitable for middle grade kids. It's awkward.


Even the fight scene nearing the end is written poorly. I kept waiting for Rengoku to power up or at least have something up his sleeve, but meh. Nothing happened.




ART STYLE

However, I really enjoy the art style. It's very clean and crisp.




SOUNDTRACK

At the end of the movie while everyone was crying, I almost cried but the tears didn't fall down. I wish I could cry but my eyes were just wet. I couldn't cry because I didn't care about the character that much. 

Even so, the soundtrack, Homura is undeniably a good fit for the movie theme. The melody and lyrics are perfect. The way LiSA sings, her breath, her emotion, if I didn't care about the character at first, after listening to Homura, I changed my mind. 


Personally, I enjoy The First Take version more than the original one! I admire LiSA so much. Her professionalism shines through her live performance. I love how much thought she put while singing and the way she sync with the musician, it's perfect.




CHARACTERS


Kamado Tanjiro is a good role model for kids to look up to. He's kind, selfless, always help and prioritize others first before himself. I really like him for showing a good example as a human. 


Out of the nine Hashira, Rengoku is in my least favourite. It's good that he's enthusiastic, but I prefer somebody who's more depressed lol. Anyway, I think Rengoku is not funny and the jokes he was supposed to make is cringey 😅


OVERALL

I didn't enjoy Kimetsu no Yaiba anime as much as other anime, so I didn't put any high hopes when I watched the movie. Even so, I was still left feeling a bit disappointed. I didn't read the manga, I don't know if reading the manga will make me love Kimetsu no Yaiba more. 

Rate: ★★★☆☆

3 Comments

  1. same here ! i did not enjoy Kimetsu no yaiba as much as other anime as well.. so i dont put high hopes on it too .. but i can still watch it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I dont remember which chapter I stop on the manga. oh no!

    ReplyDelete