ANIME REVIEW | FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD (SPOILER FREE)

Episodes: 64
Status: Finished Airing
Aired: April 5, 2009 to July 4, 2010
Studio: Bones
Genre: Action, Military, Adventure
 

"In order for something to be obtained, something of equal value must be lost."

Alchemy is bound by this Law of Equivalent Exchange—something the young brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric only realize after attempting human transmutation: the one forbidden act of alchemy. They pay a terrible price for their transgression—Edward loses his left leg, Alphonse his physical body. It is only by the desperate sacrifice of Edward's right arm that he is able to affix Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor. Devastated and alone, it is the hope that they would both eventually return to their original bodies that gives Edward the inspiration to obtain metal limbs called "automail" and become a state alchemist, the Fullmetal Alchemist.

Three years of searching later, the brothers seek the Philosopher's Stone, a mythical relic that allows an alchemist to overcome the Law of Equivalent Exchange. Even with military allies Colonel Roy Mustang, Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye, and Lieutenant Colonel Maes Hughes on their side, the brothers find themselves caught up in a nationwide conspiracy that leads them not only to the true nature of the elusive Philosopher's Stone, but their country's murky history as well. In between finding a serial killer and racing against time, Edward and Alphonse must ask themselves if what they are doing will make them human again... or take away their humanity. (Source: myanimelist)



I can't believe I used to dislike this anime when I was little. I remember how I didn't like the art style. However, upon rewatching last year, I fell in love with the twists and turns of the anime. 

It's really hard to explain what it's about because a lot of political things occurred. To summarize, FMAB is about the Elric's brothers who committed a crime as alchemists in the beginning of the story. As a consequence, Edward lost his left leg and Alphonse lost his whole physical body to pay the price. Later, they both embarked on a journey in search of the 'philosopher's stone' which was rumoured to be able to give them their body parts back.

I will review this based on categories because I think that way, my review will be a lot clearer.


PLOT

In my opinion, the plot is fast-paced and neat and smooth. No time was wasted with pointless scenes. Everything that happened contributed to the main plot of the story. I love the dark political aspect, how the military doesn't trust each other, how they were chasing power more than being responsible. Kinda sounds relatable huh? The politics is definitely the strongest point that got me hooked to the anime. 

In every episode, I found myself clutching my plushie because the TWIST, OH MY GOD. I was on the edge of my seat constantly, eagerly anticipating on what's going to befall the characters. 


ART STYLE

Okay, I might get hate comments for this but the art style is not really my type. I prefer the sharp-looking art style because I think it's cooler lol. The art style in FMAB looks roundish. I think that's why I was a little hesitant to watch this as I'm very picky when it comes to the art style.



But that's just my personal opinion though. 


SOUNDTRACK (might contain spoiler)

As soon as the first opening starts, I IMMEDIATELY fell in love. It's so badass. I love Yui's voice. It's sweet and stable. She sings effortlessly. When I listen to this, I kinda picture myself walking away after burning down the school while flipping my hair, idky.


And SCANDAL's Shunkan Sentimental is a legend. You can't not bob your head when the first guitar strikes.


I don't think I skip any opening or ending.


CHARACTERS


This is my favourite part to judge on anime. Despite how high I praised the plot, the characters fell flat for me. They were okay, but I didn't really connect to them. It's rare when I love a plot more than the characters but for FMAB, I do. The main characters did not really stood out for me.

I mean, I love Roy and his perseverance to reach his dreams. And I love Riza's toughness and loving side. But that's pretty much it. 



Another thing is, I don't understand the point of Winry. I feel like she only exists to be Edward's love interest. Yeah yeah I know she has a dream of becoming a famous automail and we can all see how passionate she is in her work, but didn't she get interested because of Edward? Idk. Her character kinda felt meh to me. 


However, the villains are written better than the main characters. They are reckless, merciless and powerful. 


RELATIONSHIPS

Okay, NOW I'm getting excited. So, hear me out. ROY AND RIZA ARE SO CUTE????


They were basically married, I don't care 😭 I can't spoil anything, but the way they would die for each other is just chef's kiss 👄 My favourite ship is the if-you-die-i-die ship, I don't know, I think there's just something romantic about dying for the people you love. And when they fight side by side, I JUST- 

KYARGHHHH. Maybe there's something wrong with me HAHA.

LOOK AT HOW HER EYES ARE ALL SOFT 😍

BUT

I don't understand Edward and Winry's relationship. It felt TOO forced. I love childhood best friends to lovers but... ugh. When they interacted, all I felt was annoyance because they were so loud fighting each other. Like the banter is not cute!!!


I don't why I'm being so harsh towards Winry 😂


OVERALL

I really enjoyed this series a lot and would recommend to people to watch. It's unique and interesting and not that hard to keep up (if you have a big brain). I just wish the characters are more likeable. But that's just me being critical.

Rate: ★★★★☆

4 Comments

  1. your review mcm worth it kalau tgk ni !! ok im putting this in the list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jalan cerita dia best, tapi dari segi character macam lacking sikit la :/ bagi Kai laa huhu

      Delete
  2. this is in my list tapi i tgk fruit basket dulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe okay la tu tengok romance dulu before tengok action xD

      Delete