ANIME REVIEW | GOLDEN KAMUY SEASON 1 (SPOILER FREE)

Episodes: 12  
Status: Finished airing
Aired: Apr 9, 2018 to June 25, 2018
Studio: Geno Studios
Genre: Action, Adventure, Historical, Seinen

In early 1900s Hokkaido after the Russo-Japanese war, Saichi Sugimoto tirelessly pans for gold. Nicknamed "Sugimoto the Immortal" for his death-defying acts in battle, the ex-soldier seeks fortune in order to fulfill a promise made to his best friend before he was killed in action: to support his family, especially his widow who needs treatment overseas for her deteriorating eyesight. One day, a drunken companion tells Sugimoto the tale of a man who murdered a group of Ainu and stole a fortune in gold. Before his arrest by the police, he hid the gold somewhere in Hokkaido. The only clue to its location is the coded map he tattooed on the bodies of his cellmates in exchange for a share of the treasure, should they manage to escape and find it.

Sugimoto does not think much of the tale until he discovers the drunken man’s corpse bearing the same tattoos described in the story. But before he can collect his thoughts, a grizzly bear—the cause of the man's demise—approaches Sugimoto, intent on finishing her meal. He is saved by a young Ainu girl named Asirpa, whose father happened to be one of the murdered Ainu. With Asirpa's hunting skills and Sugimoto's survival instincts, the pair agree to join forces and find the hidden treasure—one to get back what was rightfully her people's, and the other to fulfill his friend's dying wish. (Source: myanimelist)




In the beginning, I thought this anime was intriguing. If you read the synopsis above, you'd agree with me. I love the main concept because I love historical fiction. However, that wasn't what I got which left me disappointed. I thought I was getting something similar as Vinland Saga (my one of favourite anime ever) but meh.


PLOT


I love how Ainu culture is part of the anime plot. I think it gives spice to the story. I love learning about new culture and even their language is not Japanese. 

But I was only hooked for about half of the anime. Then, it started to get boring. I wasn't invested to know how Sugimoto and Asirpa going to find the stolen gold. There were many sex innuendo which made me uncomfortable. It doesn't contribute anything to the plot. Besides, the jokes are not funny at all, just ridiculous.




SOUNDTRACK

The opening is fire. When I listen to it, I picture myself climbing a mountain of grizzly bears. 


Honestly the ending sounds even FIRE IT BURNS ME. When the first note starts, I just want to punch someone. IT'S JUST SO BADASS. If you see me staring violently into space, that's because I'm vibing.



CHARACTERS


Damn who are these characters? Cause they're pretty forgettable so by the time I'm writing this I have forgotten everyone's names except Sugimoto and Asirpa because they were mentioned in the synopsis. It took me like 4 episodes to realize Saichi is Sugimoto's first name. I thought they were two different people. 

Their personalities are boring as hell. The only reason I keep watching this anime because Sugimoto's voice is hot af. 


RELATIONSHIP


Okay hear me out, no couple looks more like a father and daughter than Sugimoto and Asirpa. I don't know why they tried so hard to put them together and hinted them as a couple. I just- EW STOP. 

I have nothing against short people, I just think they met too sudden and there is ZERO development for them to be together. I hate it the most when romance was thrown in just for the sake of a service. I NEED GENUINE ROMANCE *cough* like RenRuki *cough*


OVERALL

I think this anime is a let down. It's overrated. The 3rd season has just been aired earlier this year. I'm not planning to continue with season 2. Even Sugimoto's hot voice isn't enough to make me continue.

If you love this anime, good for you but it's just not my taste.

★☆☆☆☆ 

10 Comments

  1. lama dah tak layan anime..bila baca ni rasa mcm nak start tgk balik je

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sekarang makin banyak anime best baru keluar, boleh start layan balik anime xD

      Delete
  2. not sure dah komen ke belum.hahaha..
    ahh seems this anime takde vibe yang kne dengan jiwa..i will pass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anime ni tak best sangat, kalau nak start tengok anime yang ada vibe perang ni boleh tengok Vinland Saga. Yang tu lagi best

      Delete
  3. not my cup of tea as well but i'd try and watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in the list tapi tatau bila nak starts tgk

    ReplyDelete