BOOK REVIEW | THE INFERNAL DEVICES SERIES, BOOK 1-3 (SPOILER FREE)

Title: The Infernal Devices Series
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Historical Fantasy

👼 Clockwork Angel, #1 

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them. (Source: Goodreads)


🤴 Clockwork Prince, #2

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart. (Source: Goodreads)


👸 Clockwork Princess, #3

Danger and betrayal, love and loss, secrets and enchantment are woven together in the breathtaking finale to the #1 New York Times bestselling Infernal Devices Trilogy, prequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy. (Source: Goodreads )


👼 Clockwork Angel, #1

I used to love Cassandra Clare a lot back in 2018. I thought her writing was amazing in the first three books of The Mortal Instruments series. But on the last installment of the series, I didn't manage to finish the 100 pages left despite how many times I tried because I find the storyline too immature and childish. 

So, going into a well-known series by her made me anxious. I admit, I put my hopes quite high because of all the hype surrounding this book. The way people describe the main character, Will Herondale, with blue eyes and black hair made me think I would fall for him. But I did not. He was that typical rude boys but only due to his traumatic past. Huh, boring. 

I knew this book revolves around a love triangle, which I hate so much. But thankfully in this one, the love triangle between Will Herondale, James Carstairs and Tessa Gray was written timidly. Will and Jem never bit each other's ass off to get Tessa. Oh how I wish it was Tessa fighting with Jem for Will but it was Jem and Will fighting for Tessa. Huh. 

You know what I hate more than love triangle? The love triangle that does not make sense! The love was instant, quicker than your instant noodles are ready to be eaten. And Tessa was literally the definition of basic. She's flat as Earth, except she loves books but Earth can't read. Whenever Will praised Tessa behind her back (which can be cute if I agree with him), I just cringed. Because I can't see Tessa the way Will saw her. Yeah, yeah she can be brave and all that but she's still boring. Imagine if I were on Tessa's spot and I was brave too, but I bet Will won't love me because let's admit, he loved her for her looks at first. Ugh. Cliche. Typical. Annoying. Whatever. 

Another thing about Clare's writing that I find hilarious sometimes is the way she describes eye color. Damn, I know she learns literature but slow down with the similes will ya. And do you know how often Will's blue eyes were described as so blue? EVERY TIME HE BREATHES AND HE BREATHES A LOT. It made me hate blue eyes which I loved a lot. 

I know I made this book sounds so bad, so why am I still reading the whole series? Because there was James Carstairs. That soft silver haired boy that can crush my heart with an innocent smile. I know he's too soft and annoying but I don't care, soft boys all the way. I think Jem's past and how it made him in the present was interesting to read about. It definitely adds some spices into this bland book. 

Another thing I like about this book is the banter between Will, Jem and Jessamine Lovelace. I love Jessamine. At least she's not boring. But it pissed me off when people compare her to Tessa as if Tessa is angel (she's a goody two shoes) and Jessamine is the devil. No, Jessamine is the rainbow and Tessa is the grey sky. Jessamine was written SO BADLY in this series. How I wish I could go back in time and advised Clare how to write a character properly.

The reveal of the villain was unexpected. I saw it coming only a few chapters before it happened. So, a plus point for that.

Overall, the first book was a good start. Not the best but I flip through the book quickly. 

Rate: ★★★★☆

If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?

 
🤴 Clockwork Prince, #2

Based on the reviews for the second book, I think more people prefer this than the first one. But for me, it was the other way around. 

I want to explain the plot briefly, but I don't even know what happened. However, I do remember thinking the plotline is childish. I even had a better plan for the plot. 

The characters were written very badly. There were a few new characters being introduced, and I'm just not interested in them. And the characters who were supposed to be authority figures act so dumb. I couldn't believe they were supposed to be older than me because they didn't feel that way. And I couldn't bring myself to like Tessa. She's a goody-two shoes. I often couldn't see why she was so involved in everything that was happening among the shadowhunters. I mean I know she's a main character, so of course her presence is anywhere but she's SO DAMN BORING AND PLAIN IT FELT LIKE MUSHROOM SOUP. 

I like Jessamine better but she was WRITTEN SO BADLY AS IF CASSANDRA CLARE WANTS PEOPLE TO HATE HER. That's the most annoying thing about Clare's writing. She always writes characters talking so highly of the good guys to influence readers that the good guys are truly good and she will make the villains horrible. I want villains to be horrible in a good way but Clare wrote villains horribly. Childish. I CAN'T ROOT WITH THAT. 

And the battle scene... oh boy there was one damn scene (that I can remember) but it was dull as hell. You stab the automaton once then bam! Dead. Or did it? I don't know, I don't remember but I remember feeling like the battle was too fleeting it felt like passing among strangers in public. 

Another damn thing I don't like about Clare's writing is how she turns everything into romance. I mean EVERYTHING. She literally puts one new male character and one new female character together in a bowl like she's adding salt and pepper into her lunch. Like what? Why do you think I will care about the side characters' romance when I don't even care about the main ones? I READ THIS SERIES FOR THE ACTION NOT SOME INSTANT ROMANCE WHERE THERE IS NO DEVELOPMENT AT ALL THAT I CAN ROOT FOR.

I think I'm being too harsh about the second book. But I did put aside the book so many times because I couldn't stand it. The reason why I think book one was better because I got to see the interaction between Will, Jem and Jessamine. I love them as a trio. But in this one, something happened to Jessamine so she was mostly absent :(

Rate: ★★☆☆☆

I hurt everyone but you. I never meant to hurt you.

👸 Clockwork Princess, #3

Ladies and gentlemen, after the disappointing book two, I was glad I read through until book three because THIS BOOK IS A GEM. Maybe not the best, but it's above than average. 

For a start, I think this book was written better in terms of the plot. A lot more things were explained. Even though at the end, the battle scene between the main villain still left me unsatisfied. I think a lot more actions should happen before the conflict was resolved to build more anticipation and kept readers on the edge of the seat. But you know what Clare did? She focused on the romance part as if this is Romeo and Juliet. 

I couldn't and wouldn't approve Tessa for what she did to Jem. She was basically emotionally cheating on him. But we don't talk about that because Tessa is an angel (I mean literally) so she escaped from any wrongs. I couldn't stand when Tessa was like 'oh how I love Will but Jem loves me and I love Jem too. What should I do?!' Like girl, shut up. No, of course she didn't literally say it like that but I dislike her so that's how I interpret. 

But what made this book good? There was one thing that happened that made me bawl my eyes out. I would lay down on my bed or stare out the window and then there are tears running down my face thinking about THAT THING that had happened. It was truly heartbreaking. Especially how affected Will was. I know I said I wasn't fond of Will before, but after that thing, I kinda felt sad for him. He became a decent human being (which is something he should've done from the beginning). 

I may not like Will, but I love his friendship with Jem a lot. The way he isn't embarrassed or too pride to admit his feelings is a precious thing. Will being vulnerable and humanly only in front of Jem is something not everyone has. It was privileged to have it and witness it.

In the last 100 pages, I wish the epilogue didn't happen. I think it would be more melancholic to leave the story as it was before the epilogue because not everyone has to have happy endings and that's totally fine. 

Overall, the whole series was a good journey to be a part of. I definitely did not regret reading it, though it was rather forgettable. 

Rate: ★★★★★

You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all.

Overall Rate:  ★★★★☆

11 Comments

  1. Replies
    1. hehe sebab cuti sem haritu sempat la baca

      Delete
  2. if novels comes with part... i will baca all juga..even tak best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. betul! sebab kadang2 the story gets better ;)

      Delete
  3. salam singgah dan follow disini ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. famous book kan..tak baca lagi sebab x suka genre buku ni..tapi ramai cakap best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup sangat famous dan hyped! even buku ni dah lama pun sampai sekarang still hyped. tapi tula, macam biasa2 je :|

      Delete
  5. Wow! I have now words to say regarding the books. 😶

    ReplyDelete