Top 5 Most Disappointing Books of 2022

I only managed to read 26 books this year and I DNF-ed around 3-4 books. I hate it when I had to DNF a book, especially the ones I highly anticipated. But I'm not going to be the reader who sticks with a book just because I already started it. Normally after about 100 pages mark, if the book didn't excite me, or the characters are so annoying (which is usually the case) or the writing style is too dull for me (this excuse is still forgivable), I will just close the book and be done with it. I'm not going to waste my time on something mid when there are so many potentially amazing books that may blow my mind. 

So, here are some of the books I felt most disappointed in. Simply because I read raved reviews about them but didn't land quite right for me. Some of the books I DNF-ed, which is a teeny bit unfair for me to judge it as a whole since the books may get better. But nevertheless, here are the books that have let me down. 


1. The Midnight Library by Matt Haig



I went into this thinking this book could save my life, which is to say might be a little bit overstating it, but that was how I felt. 

If you don't know what this book is about, The Midnight Library is basically about this one character who committed suicide then woke up to find herself in the library, the place in between life and death. In the library, the books on the shelves were her life stories where she can pick a timepoint in her life and start over. The question is, will the circumstance change if her decision was different? Who knows. I didn't finish the book.

The author himself is suffering from depression. So, I was expecting this book to be dark and soul-crushing. I thought I could resonate with the main character. But all I get was fortune cookies worth kind of advice. I could read something from Milk and Honey and that would sound more interesting than the pieces of advice given in the book (which is very low). I tried to read it up to 50 pages (I think, I didn't even bother to remember), but it wasn't right for me.

I heard SO many good reviews about this book, so maybe I'm the problem. If this book has helped you in any kind of way, good for you. But it made me even more depressed.


2. Take A Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert

This one was so... animalistic. I was so upset to DNF this because I LOVE Get A Life, Chloe Brown. This book is the second installment in the Brown Sisters series. I love the first one so much it made my bitter and soulless heart LITERALLY GIGGLED SQUIRMING PUNCHING THE AIR because Chloe and Red WERE ADORABLE AS HECK. 

But this one was just too sexual for me. Dani and Zafir WERE SO INFATUATED WITH EACH OTHER I DON'T WANT THEM TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM BECAUSE IT'S DISGUSTING. 

Besides, Zafir is a Muslim, albeit a non-practicing one. As a Muslim myself, it was uncomfortable and awkward for me to know his explicit thoughts towards Dani so relentlessly. He touched and made out with her like it was nothing, which was probably the case for him since he didn't practice Islam, but I couldn't get through it. It was yuck.

Also, I guess it was my fault to get my hopes high when I knew too well I hate fake dating trope. I couldn't see the point why Dani and Zafir would constantly downgrade each other when they had all those lust in between their legs. They were insufferable.


3. Majnun by Zul Azlin

When I look at this book, I see this golden child who had so much potential to be something big, profound and remarkable. But instead all I got was disappointment. 

I couldn't forgive myself for getting excited to read this. The blurb sounds so cool and badass. But once I dived in... boy was I disappointed. There are so many aspects on why I despise this book so much, but let's start with the characters. 

All the time I wanted to throw up trying to read what the characters were thinking inside their heads. I would rather walk on wet grass barefoot (you should know I HATE WET GRASS SO MUCH) than reading about those idiots. They were the most immature and stupid adults I've ever read. And to think they were depicted as professionals? Abominable.

The storyline had potential, but it wasn't executed properly. A lot of things could've been developed to make the plot more sensible. 


4. Jika Aku by Anna Lee


I knew I shouldn't depend on this book to satisfy my hopeless romantic dreams because this isn't a cute love story. I mean, going into this one, I knew it was described as action-romance but the fact that I didn't get both is my villain origin story. 

This book started with this mind-reader annoying stuck up b**** in the train stealing glances at this gorgeous hottie. I was like, yes gurl, same. We all do, right? But then, she and I were suddenly not the same anymore when she started to be delusional. She strongly believed that hottie was a murderer because she heard his thoughts wondering where to hide a body. And to know the real reason and intention of that hottie having those thoughts... made this book a lost cause.


I couldn't vibe with this book AT ALL. The main character, Teja is a goody two shoes. The love interest, Malik is boring (but at least he's hot). The plot tried so hard to be edgy but failed. And the ending? I can't. 

You should read my full review on this book because I'm about to throw up just thinking about it. 


5. Introvert by Abstrakim


When I came across this book on Twitter for the first time, I thought, well who decided to write a book about me? And so, being the most desperate and hopeful to find a common voice, I bought this straight from the FIXI book shop all the way at Sunway Pyramid. 

One might ask, is it worth it? All the commuting from UM to Sunway Pyramid? Is this book worth my precious time? The answer is HELL NO. This book had ONE CHANCE to save me but IT DID NOT. 

I have never read something so childish as this. I heard a lot of praises for Abstrakim because he's apparently a famous writer. So, I was expecting something beautiful, punching me to the gut, lyrical writing style. But it was extremely dry. 

The whole plot was structured by a middle school kid who's trying so hard to impress his examiner in his Bahasa Melayu exam. There was twist after twist but the basis was nowhere to be found. 

I could not believe a single thought by Farady who was supposed to be this suicidal kid one second, and then all of a sudden after meeting this new hot chick, life was bearable again. That is such a thing man would do, acting shallow. 


All of the books mentioned are not bad books per se, they just aren't for me. I'm a goddamn picky reader because my soul is full of pessimism. So, do not take anything I say to the heart. I was just venting out my thoughts because no one else would listen (because I have no friends). So, please forgive me. 

But anyway, this post was one of the most enjoyable to write. 

2 Comments

  1. alahai kesiannya, terbaca buku yg tak best ye. rasa rugi kan especially kalau ending tak best

    ReplyDelete